It’s been a while since I’ve shouted this is the BEST meal ever, so let’s just go ahead and say right now that this realllly is the best meal everrrrr! It’s truly one of our favorites. Every last bite it absolutely FULL of flavor. Jasmine rice coated in creamy pumpkin with some pistachios and kale folded into the mix, sweet orange notes all throughout, plus maple-caramelized tofu. Oh.my.word.
This flavor profile is like the Jack & Jill of the food world—they just go together. It’s like you’d never really think this combination of ingredients would go together, but they do. They so do. It’s sweet and savory all at the same time, and this bowl of deliciousness is super hard to stop eating. I kept telling myself that’s enough, that’s enough, but my bowl was empty before I knew it. What’s a girl to do?
Oooh, this dish is kind of fall-ish too—pumpkin, maple….mmm! Fall is in the air, friends. You know, this yummy bowl made me think of Thanksgiving. Say what? It’s true, though. I was thinking just how lovely it would be to make this for my family for Thanksgiving. Soooo, I just might actually make that happen. Maybe even with a pumpkin cake of some sort for dessert. Oh my, is it really only August?!
The fresh orange juice in this bowl beautifully complements the pumpkin and the maple tofu. There’s just nothing like it. I promise! The taste is out of this world. Then the crunch of the pistachio in every bite adds a nice bit of texture to contrast all the creaminess. It’s just perfection all around.
And life just wouldn’t be complete without talking specifically about the maple tofu. It’s so insanely delicious and super addictive. It’d make a fabulous snack all on its own. Really simple to make too, so that’s a plus. Heat up some oil, toss in the tofu, pour on some maple syrup (I was generous!), and a sprinkle of salt and pepper…then just let it do its thing and caramelize to golden perfection. And then try not to eat all the tofu bites before dinnertime. :)
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 onion—diced
- 3 cloves garlic—minced
- ⅓ cup shelled pistachios
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 2 cups chopped kale
- Zest from 2 oranges
- ¾ cup fresh orange juice (I used 4 oranges)
- ¼ tsp. salt (or to taste)
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3 cups cooked jasmine rice (cold, leftover rice is best)
- ¼ cup vegetable stock, if needed
- For garnish: 1 cup chopped orange pieces (or use mandarin oranges)
- 1 block extra firm tofu—drained, pressed, and cubed
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- Heat the oil in a large pot set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 7-8 minutes. Add the garlic and pistachios and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add in the pumpkin, kale, orange zest, orange juice, salt, and cayenne and stir until well combined. Add the rice and mix until fully incorporated. You can add the vegetable stock for a thinner consistency, if you’d like.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Carefully add the tofu cubes and pour 1 tbsp. maple syrup over-top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until golden on one side, about 4 minutes. Flip the tofu cubes and cook again until golden, about 2-3 minutes. I only cook two sides of the tofu—no need to cook all sides. Remove from heat. Toss the tofu with the remaining 1 tbsp. maple syrup.
- To serve, scoop some rice into a bowl and top with the maple tofu and orange pieces. Feel free to garnish with extra pistachios and a drizzle of maple syrup. Serve warm.
Source: Adapted from Happy. Healthy. Life