Hey, friends! Can you believe summer is almost over?! As much as I love fall, it’s crazy to think just how quickly summer has passed us by. I spent a few hours at the pool yesterday, and with any luck, I’ll hop back over there today. So, relaxing! As you know, with cooler temps comes warm, comforting food, so this here just might be the last salad I post for a while. Actually, that’s probably a lie. Ha! We have at least a month or longer left of warmer temps ‘round these parts. Oof. A girl can dream.
So what do you say we scarf down ALL the salad while we’re still craving lighter food? This Mediterranean Kale Salad is the perfect choice on a hot summer day—totally refreshing and bursting with lots of flavor.
I used kale here, but go ahead and use your favorite greens. I think spinach would be a great addition! As for the rest of the salad, it’s simple—tuna fish, grape tomatoes, red onions, feta cheese, and olives. Wait, but not just any olives. I used a combination of green olives and kalamata olives because…well, I just love olives. Is that not reason enough? :) Really though, they both add a lovely salty bite with a bit of zing.
I tend to really love balsamic vinegar with tuna fish, but red wine vinegar works just as well, so use whichever you prefer for the dressing. Oil + vinegar are really all you need here, but I stepped it up a touch by adding a squeeze of Dijon mustard and a drizzle of maple syrup. Both help mellow out the acidity from the vinegar—makes for an overall good balance.
Taste-wise , you’ll no doubt enjoy all the different textures and flavors. A huge dose of greens. Light, but hearty tuna fish for lots of protein. Rich bites of tomatoes. Delicious, salty olives. Pungent red onions. Tangy feta cheese. Annnd, you might also want to add some diced avocado for that oh-so-amazing creaminess factor. Yessssss!
- 3-4 cups greens (I used kale)
- 1 (5 oz.) can tuna fish—drained + flaked
- ¼ cup quartered grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup sliced kalamata olives + green olives
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ⅛ cup diced red onion
- Optional topping: diced avocado
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- Squeeze of Dijon mustard
- Dizzle of maple syrup
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Add the greens to a large bowl. Top with tuna fish, tomatoes, olives, cheese, and red onions (and avocado, if using).
- Add all of the dressing ingredients to a small bowl. Cover with lid and shake to combine.
- Pour dressing over salad and shake to coat. Enjoy!