Raise your hand if you like grilled cheese! Oooh, count me in.
I think most every American kid has eaten a grilled cheese or two in their lifetime. More like hundreds, if we’re being honest. I don’t know how many kids eat fancy grilled cheese nowadays, but this was a first for me.
And boy, have I been missing out. You too? Good thing I came to the rescue then.
Fancy-looking grilled cheese has always looked just too sloppy to eat. But guess what? That’s not true…mainly because I put so much cheese that it all held together like a dream. There’s a solution to every problem, you see. And cheese is typically the answer.
This gourmet beauty starts with a gigantic slice of Italian bread. Yes, the fancy stuff—all golden around the edges and super flavorful. We picked ours up at Aldi for a fairly decent price. Score! Just opening the bag of bread brought back memories from when I was a kid. My dad used to bring home yummy Italian bread all the time, so we could chow down on homemade Italian sandwiches. Mmm.
But, back to this incredible grilled cheese.
To the bread, you add a layer of Monterey cheese and then top that with a mixture of baby bella mushrooms, wilted spinach, artichoke hearts, and caramelized onions. Ooooh baby. And then you add yet another layer of Monterey cheese. This isn’t called a grilled CHEESE for nothing, friends.
Don’t skimp. Seriously.
The cheese melts deliciously into all the other goodies, making this grilled cheese creamy as can be. What more could you ask for? And the cheese in combination with the mushrooms, spinach, artichoke, and caramelized onions…mmm, such melt-in-your-mouth goodness. Plus, you’re going to love the deep, rich flavor from the caramelized onions.
For this being my first fancy, gourmet grilled cheese…I really knocked it out of the park. Now it’s your turn!
- 2 slices of bread (I used 1 large slice of Italian bread cut in half)
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion—sliced thin
- 2 baby bella mushrooms—sliced thin
- 1 cup fresh spinach (about 1-2 handfuls)
- 4 small artichoke hearts
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Monterey cheese (I used 6 thin slices from an 8 oz. block)
- Butter 1 side of each slice of bread. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking until fairly caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add the sliced baby bellas and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until tender. Toss in the spinach and 1-2 tsp. water and cook until the spinach wilts, about 2 minutes. Add the artichoke and cook for an additional minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Push the mixture to the side of the skillet.
- Place 1 slice of bread butter-side down in the skillet. Add a layer of Monterey cheese and then top the cheese with the baby bella mixture. Add another layer of cheese on top of the mixture and then place the other slice of bread butter-side up on top of the mixture. With the heat on medium-low, cook the grilled cheese until golden, about 3-4 minutes. Gently flip the grilled cheese and cook the other side until golden, about 2-3 minutes.